Monday, March 16, 2009

The Week Ahead: SXSW


I have been waiting with a good deal of anticipation for this year’s SXSW. I have to confess, even after 11 years living in Austin, I have not been the biggest fan of live music. SXSW is usually one of the weeks I aim to avoid downtown as much as possible. However, this year is different. With my newfound appreciation for genres such as Electro, Indie Rock and Baltimore Club and the discovery of nightlife away from the far too touristy 6th Street, I have found myself strangely optimistic this year. It also helps that I actually know some of the acts that are coming into town this year and there is a good number of reputable DJs on this year’s bill. Some of the more interesting acts include (Kid Cudi, Blaqstarr, Don Rimini and Tittsworth). Must sees for me include New York/Atlanta DJ Treasure Fingers and Brazilian DJ/Producer duo The Twelves at Beauty Bar on Friday, March 20th. Also, Grammy nominated DJ/Producer Diplo plays a huge party on Saturday, March 21st at the Abandoned Salvation Army.

This along with the NCAA tournament should make for an interesting week. Or maybe not.

No comments: